Sunday, May 03, 2009

Downtime

Things are a bit quiet at ::Acquired Taste at the moment. I have produced no babies; I am not in the running for awards; I have not just finished the final draft of my latest novel; and I'm in between series of The Wire. I am, in fact, in limbo. The Last Free City awaits the yea or nay from Macmillan and until that happens, future plans are on hold. I have several ideas for new stories, but which one I invest the time and emotional energy into working up depends on where Macmillan (or Tor as it will be if we move onto Book 3) see TLFC. There should be news on that soon, so for now a period of quiet reflection is in order.


8 comments:

Frances Garrood said...

Tim, I do sympathise, but hope very much that good news will soon come your way. I'm in a similar boat in that I haven't really settled down yet to the next book, and am in my own limbo (though unlike you, I have no good news to look forward to in the forseeable future!). So I'm filling my time with magazine short stories, which pay well (if they sell - the market is incredibly competitive), even if they have no literary merit whatsoever. But my brain is clambering around inside my head, searching for a novel to cling on to, and the plots just won't materialise...

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

Hi Tim

I hated being in limbo. Apart from the insidious stress of not knowing the fate of your beloved 'baby', you can't move on to other things - the distraction of the unknown is just too great. Here's hoping you won't have to wait much longer (and there are enough enjoyable distractions to keep your mind off it).

By the way, the Macmillan New Writers blog is looking brilliant and you've done sterling work on getting interviews from the more enigmatic new writers. It's good to see the blog in yours and David’s safe hands!

David Isaak said...

More Tim's than mine, I'm afraid, Matt. I've been a real California-style slacker lately. (I've always said nobody can do slacker like a native Southern Californian.)

But, Tim, why is this a moment for quiet reflecttion? I mean, drunken debauchery has its place, too...

Tim Stretton said...

Ah, David, that's what I was missing!

no said...

GO TIM!!!!!

Just felt like saying it. I hate periods of calm reflection. I have to break them up with rabble-rousing cheerleading.

TIM TIM TIM!!!!!

Tim Stretton said...

Aw, Aliya - now you've gone and woken me up with your noisy antics. And at work too!

no said...

Heh.