Saturday, October 02, 2010

Why Should I Read...?


Bomber
Len Deighton, 1970


In my teens I read a lot about the Second World War, a phase I'm sure most bookish boys go through.  Until re-reading it this week, I haven't read Bomber for at least 25 years, but it always remained in my mind as a remarkable book, even once I had long forgotten the details. Reading it again now I can see why I remembered, and why judges as good as Kingsley Amis and Anthony Burgess rated it among the great novels of the 2oth century.

Bomber  is set in one single day ("31 June" 1943) and tells the story, in clinical "docudrama" style, of a bombing raid against a German industrial city.  The novel uses multiple viewpoints and perspectives, both from the British and German sides.  The raid is a disaster on every level: the light Mosquito bomber, in a precisely choreographed scene, drops its marker bombs by accident on a sleepy market town, with the result that the 700 heavy bombers following carpet-bomb the town instead of the target.  Most of the inhabitants we see are killed, as are many of the German fighter pilots and the British bomber crews.  Deighton doesn't take sides; instead, with chilling detachment he chronicles the varying fates of the characters, who die heroically, farcically, gruesomely (one plane is downed by a bird strike, another from friendly fire).  Of those who survive, one German pilot is arrested on landing and subsequently executed for protesting against concentration camps; the star British pilot is taken off flying duties for refusing to play in a regimental cricket match.  For all the crisp precision of the prose, this is an angry book, showing up the horror of mechanised warfare.

Technically the book is also a tremendous achievement.  Deighton makes us care about the characters despite the pared-back prose (and also allows us to differentiate a large cast in our mind), and to admire the bravery of both the bombed and the bombers.  I suspect that 40 years ago the book was even more revolutionary, both stylistically and in the way in which all the characters are portrayed as victims.  (I suspect that Alastair McLean's action stories like The Guns of Navarone or Where Eagles Dare are more typical of the period).

Bomber is not an easy read, but it is a bleak masterpiece.   


How has it influenced me?


Bomber was probably one of the first novels I read that dispensed with any pretence of happy endings.  The novel is a gruelling read but the reader recognises the rightness of the downbeat conclusions.  If the bomber crews had all come back safe, if the German pilots had all survived to collect their Knight's Cross, we might have been pleased for men we had come to care about, but it would have been the wrong ending for the novel.  It also shows that the writer can create sympathy for the characters without purple prose.  Deighton's ability to create memorable characters in a couple of paragraphs--one or two telling details can do it--is also something we can all learn from.



8 comments:

C. N. Nevets said...

Having at one time been immersed in Alistair MacClean and Jack Higgins, among a few others, I never did come across Bomber. I will have to give it a read sometime. It sounds like a remarkable accomplishment.

Tim Stretton said...

Nevets, I've read and enjoyed those writers too, but Bomber is on altogether different level. I think someone with your interest in the craft of writing will find it fascinating--as well as being moved as a reader.

Frances Garrood said...

You'vve sold it to me, Tim. I'm off to find a copy.

Tim Stretton said...

Frances, I'd forgotten how good it was. Indeed, reading it fourteen I doubt I fully understood how good it was...

David Isaak said...

Len Deighton as one of the great novelists of the century? Okay, I'll buy a copy. If both you and Burgess endorse it, it's got to be something I'd want to read.

Tim Stretton said...

I'm not sure Deighton is one of the century's great novelists. But he's written one of the century's best novels.

Nice trick if you can pull it off...

Frances Garrood said...

My copy has just arrived from Amazon - really looking forward to reading it. Thanks, Tim!

David Isaak said...

Hi, Tim--

You draw an interesting distinction there.