Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Proofs

I had an email from Will last night to say that the proofs of The Dog of the North are ready, and they "look great". I may be biased, but I'm sure he's right. I can't wait to see them; although the book had a brief self-publication run, seeing someone else's typesetting will be a thrill.

It's also the final chance for me to give the book a last once-over, before I let it make its own way in the world. I've read the book so often (apparently I even wrote it, although that's now so long ago I have to take it on trust) that it's unlikely I'll see anything new, but if I pick up even one correction it's worth it.

If I can work out how to use the scanner/printer/fax machine/photocopier/combine harvester combo under the desk I'll post a picture of the proofs when they arrive.

4 comments:

mattfwcurran.com Web Admin said...

Hi, Tim

It was seeing the ISBN number that walloped me when I first got my proofs - kinda reinforcing that feeling that yes, finally, I was being published. It was all a bit surreal (and I don't think that smile moved for about a week).

Cheers

Matt

Alis said...

Read 'em carefully, Tim - I thought I'd been through mine with a fine tooth comb (I picked up 40-odd things) and still people point out typos...

Tim Stretton said...

The author is the person least likely to spot errors at this stage...but it has to be done...

David Isaak said...

I'm with Alis. In particular, make sure that changes you agreed upon after copyediting actually were made. You may think you have lobbed that ball into someone else's court, but as it turns out, it is possible to accept a suggested change and then find out that the suggested change wasn't made.

No one's pointed out any typos to me so far, though. Perhaps they're just being kind, aware of my fragile state of mind.