Monday, October 08, 2007

“Why Should I Read…?” even more…

“Why Should I Read…?” has reached the end of its original run. Like a tempting box of chocolates, I have not made it last as long as I should. Instead, I will have to risk sickening myself and my readers with an expanded list.

So, without further ado, here is my second set of ten books which have made an impact on me, and which I hope will do the same for you.

Lucky Jim – Kingsley Amis

Inversions – Iain M. Banks

The Big Sleep – Raymond Chandler

Bleak House – Charles Dickens

LA Confidential – James Ellroy

Beyond a Boundary – CLR James

Buddenbrooks – Thomas Mann

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie – Muriel Spark

Point Blank – Richard Stark


This is a list I hope has a nice variety, although I notice three hard-boiled American crime novels (and why not?).
We have another sports book (and, like The Miracle of Castel di Sangro, about much more than sport). Only one of our choices is from the 19th century (although Buddenbrooks surely deserves honorary membership). There’s only one fantasy and two very British novels to counterbalance the American thrillers.

I think we’re going to have fun exploring them!

No comments: